I hate wasting food. You use your money to buy it, why would you throw your money away (or in this case, my parents’ money away. As a high-school girl, my income is nonexistent)? So when I see some old whole wheat tortillas lying around in my fridge, I was annoyed. I never eat tortillas unless it’s with my mom’s green chili. (And when I say “old,” I don’t mean old. I mean I bought them a couple of weeks ago for quesadillas and something and we still have them. They were completely edible. Trust me). POINT IS I wasn’t going to use them for anything else.
So what do I do? Tortilla chips, specially tailored to your liking! It’s so easy to do; and really, who doesn’t like some freshly baked chips? Still warm…smothered with cheese….
Okay so here’s whatcha do:
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Cut up as many tortillas as you want in irregular shapes.
- Dap VERY LIGHTLY with olive oil. I actually used my fingers to kinda brush it on.
- Sprinkle with salt, creole seasoning, really whatever type flavor chips you want. I bet if you sprinkled some brown sugar and cinnamon on there and brushed them with butter instead of olive oil that’d be really yummy too.
- Bake for about 10 minutes. I checked mine at about 7 minutes then checked them frequently after that until they were done. They are done when they are lightly browned (a little bit more). Some may still be a little soft in the middle, but they’ll crisp up when you take them out of the oven and let em sit for a while.
- Enjoy with salsa, cheese, or maybe ice cream if you do the sweet version 😉